Monday, July 11, 2011

Vegetarian Taquitos

Last week I came across a recipe for bean taquitos and though that sounded interesting and tasty, so started planning to make it. Then I came across a recipe for black bean quinoa burgers, and thought adding quinoa to the taquito would be good. When it came down to it, I didn't use any beans. Instead, just quinoa, onion, mushroom, and feta cheese. I diced and cooked one onion until soft and sweet, added two sliced mushrooms, and a clove of chopped garlic. I'd cooked the quinoa the night before, so I just added about a cup of it to the onion mixture when it was done cooking. Then sprinkled in a little feta, and voila! This mix was good enough to eat on its own, but I'd been prepared to make taquitos, so I continued in that quest.

I lack the finesse to tightly roll a corn tortilla without letting it crack, even after softening it by warming it in a skillet first.  That, and I was a bit of a glutton for filling, so there was no way my taquitos would be rolled as small as what you get in a restaurant. I put a couple of tablespoons of filling on the tortilla and tried to roll it as tightly as possible. What I also discovered is that if you take too long rolling a batch, the first one done will start to crack as it waits to be fried! I did, eventually, get all my taquitos in the pan, frying them in just a tablespoon or so of olive oil.


One of our kitchen lights is burnt out right now so photos aren't turning out too well, but these taquitos made a good dinner, and the second batch was good for lunch today! Add a little sour cream on the side and they're super tasty!

I ordered myself a new zoom lens last week and it just arrived! The lens that I've been using is an old one made by Kodak that I've had for about 10 years now, and it isn't the best quality. I'm hoping the new one will be a considerable upgrade and I'll be able to get some good shots of our hummingbirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment