Thursday, November 11, 2010

Travel Snacks

First off, I think I'm doing this too much... two entries in one day!?

In preparation for my long journey from Pullman to Port Townsend tomorrow for the Tilth Producers conference, I spent hours in the kitchen today. This involved: popcorn, two more batches of dried apples, cookies, breads, and crunchy chickpeas.


I made these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies, which turned out quite yummy. My only flaw was baking them a bit too long, so the bottoms on the first batch are a bit dark. But still tasty.


Before I left for work this morning I mixed up a batch of dough from my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book, which I broke into two recipes.

The first was Onion Dinner Rolls (or something like that). I had a lot of trouble getting the carmelized onions on/in the top of the roll like the recipe said, so I ended up just folding the dough over them, creating a nice little onion pocket inside. Not sure if they'll be good cold on the road, but the one I tried sure was delicious warm!


The second bread from that batch was a Sundried Tomato and Parmesan loaf. I realized I'm not the biggest fan of sundried tomatoes (or really any tomatoes), so limited the amount that went in. After half an hour of baking it turned out quite lovely. Not sure when I'll actually slice it open and see how everything turned out.

My final effort for the afternoon was to make crunchy chickpeas. They kind of remind me of corn nuts, because the basic idea is to season some chickpeas, then bake them until they're nice and crunchy. I find them to be a satisfying snack, and the protein certianly doesn't hurt.

There's my whole stash for the weekend. Don't worry, I won't eat all the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment