Sunday, May 20, 2012

Honey Glazed Radishes


You have to try this. Until last weekend, I don't think I had ever eaten a radish in my life. (I know, terrible, right?) When I picked up my CSA share at the farmers market on Wednesday, I found bok choy, salad mix, chives, baby kale and chard, and a big bunch of radishes. I am not the best vegetarian--there are a lot of vegetables I'm still coming to terms with. I usually stick with what I know; mainly broccoli, carrots, etc. No idea why radishes were missing. Especially because the recipe that Margaret at Omache farm provided for them is AMAZING.


Ingredients:
1 Lg Bunch Radishes
1 Tbsp Butter
½ Cup Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Honey
¼ cup minced onions, shallots or spring onions
Salt to taste

Once everything is assembled, it's incredibly easy.
Top radishes, slice in half for easier eating (forget to do this if your name is Lauren).
Melt butter in pan. Sautee onions until soft.
Add radishes, stir until coated in butter.
Add stock and honey. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove cover; simmer until liquid thickens to glaze.
Add salt as desired and serve warm.

 

I topped with a sprinkle of chives to green things up a bit--this dish does look really drab when it's done. But it's so tasty!!! Cooking the radishes takes away a lot of their spiciness, and I'm a sucker for anything that uses onions to add a bit of extra sweetness.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment