Saturday, May 26, 2012

What else is on the menu lately?


Even though I've been in Pullman for almost two months I am still having trouble getting into a routine. I'm looking for a yoga class, trying to stick to a good schedule of taking Alice out for long walks, and getting better every week at making sure I'm preparing healthy meals and snacks.
Occasionally I just need to step back and remind myself of a few healthy things I can easily put together.
Honey Glazed Chickpeas, for example.

I went through a phase of making big batches of roasted chickpeas that were spiced with chili powder, mostly to take in the car during road trips.

These chickpeas are very easy to make, and even easier to eat. So easy, in fact, that I ate half the batch fresh out of the oven, and the other half as a midnight snack later that night. None left for the work week. Oops.

In case you want to make a batch of your own, here's the recipe! (From The Pastry Affair)

Honey Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce can) chickpeas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Drain chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Let chickpeas drain/dry for a few minutes.
3. Whisk together cinnamon, oil, and sugar a liquid measuring cup. Place chickpeas in bowl, pour cinnamon mixture over, and stir until chickpeas are evenly coated.
4. Spread the chickpeas on a large baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until crunchy and no longer soft in the middle. Sometimes they do this neat exploding thing in the oven. Be sure to take out any that pop off the baking sheet when your oven is cool--they stink when they burn the next time you turn the oven on.
5. Place hot, roasted chickpeas in a large drinking glass. Drizzle honey over the chickpeas, put some sort of lid on the glass, and shake it around until the chickpeas are as evenly coated as possible.
6. Spread chickpeas back out on baking sheet and allow to dry. Attempt to store in an airtight container at room temperature rather than eating them all at once. :)


Also in my mealtime repertoire are green salads. I had a momentary lapse in memory a few days before picking up my CSA share and bought a big package of romaine hearts at Costco. Then I got a big bag of beautiful baby lettuces in the CSA. When combined, I get a lovely little salad. Topped with a drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and some fantastic cheddar cheese it makes a very satisfying addition to a meal.

If you've been reading long, you'll remember the quinoa patties I whipped up while living in Arcata. They were a standby for awhile, and different ingredients went into the mix with every batch that was made. This week I actually stuck pretty close to Heidi's recipe from Super Natural Every Day because I finally had the chives it calls for! Courtesy again of my CSA share!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Quinoa patties!!!! oh how I miss those yummy little things.... :)

    ReplyDelete